Saturday, February 02, 2008

Hucklemania Rules

“The art of living is more like that of wrestling than of dancing; the main thing is to stand firm and be ready for an unseen attack.”
- Marcus Aurelius



Like all Americans I remember the righteous rage that welled up in me on September 11th, 2001. Not long after the attack our local newspaper published an editorial citing the things we’d done in the international arena that had brought the attack on. I remember my feeling of rage then, as well.

I don’t know where Usama bin Laden is right now, but I sure would like a piece of him. Wouldn't you?
Mike Huckabee has published a thirteen point platform on national security and the war on terror. At the root of the policy is the same tenacity that Mike has displayed in his grass roots campaign for the presidency. Read what he has to say about the War on Terror and I think you’ll agree with me:

“I believe that we are currently engaged in a world war. Radical Islamic fascists have declared war on our country and our way of life. They have sworn to annihilate each of us who believe in a free society, all in the name of a perversion of religion and an impersonal god. We go to great extremes to save lives, they go to great extremes to take them. This war is not a conventional war, and these terrorists are not a conventional enemy. I will fight the war on terror with the intensity and single-mindedness that it deserves.”

Erich Maria Remarque’s classic “All Quiet on the Western Front” the story of war is told from the point of view of the ordinary soldier. At one point in the novel the soldiers all decide that the best way to settle the war is for the leaders to fight it out, one on one.

As I think about the Republican race for president, there is no man I would rather have going one on one with Usama is Mike Huckabee. I realize that John McCain is a war hero. We’re deeply indebted to him for his service. It’s now time for someone to step from the ranks and go at it. So, to that end, we Huckabee supporters throw down the following gauntlet to Usama and his followers. Come out of the cave. Come out into the open. Mike is waiting for you, like David with his sling and five smooth stones.

1 comment:

Douglas said...

His policy positions are not too bad, but in my mind, there is too much talk about Pervez Musharraf, whom we can only do so much about, and not enough talk about securing our southern seive of a border, which we can do something about.

I believe that unless Romney and Huckabee supports unite under one candidate, McCain wins the nomination. Do you concur? Do you like that?